Tuesday, August 24, 2010

DAY 1: The Plan

I have begun DAY 1 of an adventure today. In an effort to boycott consumerism and materialism and an overall compulsion to buy more! more! more!, today starts one year on the Great American Apparel Diet - one year without buying clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. Additionally, cutting out other acts of consumerism such as trips to Target (ouch that hurts to even type), big box stores, frequent eating out, and most importantly, the use of her debit card (yes, it has been cut up)  Can she do it? I think she can!


Why?, you may ask.  (In many ways, I'm not sure either!)  The reasons will evolve as I discover life without these "things", but initially there are several reasons for embarking on such a challenge: to live a fuller life with more "quality" and less "quantity", to save money, to challenge myself, and hey, maybe to learn a thing or two about myself.


So what are the rules?  OUT: the purchasing of new clothes, shoes, accessories, make up, and furniture.  Soda.  (Ouch!)  Trips to Target (double ouch!), big box stores and the mall.  Eating out more than twice a week.  IN: the Farmer's Market, cooking, walking places, water, tea, and a local grocery store.  Also IN: more time, money, energy, and zen living.  An endeavor clearly worth while.


Please follow me on my journey - and don't forget to offer support, as I will clearly NEED IT!  Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool Ginger! I will certainly be following you along the way!

    ReplyDelete