Monday, August 30, 2010

DAY 7: A Whole New Me (well...kind of)

Only seven days in, and I am beginning to feel a bit like a new person.  Suffice it to say, I'm not all "hopped up" on Diet Coke anymore, and I feel calmer (yes, a little tired at times) but overall just feel more connected with my body.  Is this strange to have such a profound change in one week?


The caffeine withdrawal was, at first, by far the most difficult feat.  It has been a lifetime habit to grab a Diet Coke at any moment of the day, and I find I crave one when I am anxious or to get through transitions in the day.  (Finished getting your haircut?  On your way to work?  Just stop and grab a D.C. for the ride!  Well, no longer...)  However, the cravings are going away as are the headaches.


It will continue to be difficult, but the real kicker, I have found, is not eating out.  This is funny, considering I can't really afford to eat out much...but somehow I had managed to pool together the cash to eat out lunch and dinner at least five days a week!  Think of all the money I'll save!  Lately, it's been cook, cook, cook - yes even in the 95 degree heat - and I am all the better for it.  Yes, my boyfriend did have to tell me to get off the kitchen floor when I lay down in a dramatic protest; even though we were cooking together, I wanted to can the whole thing - just for a day - and go out for pizza.  But no, he kept me on track and after a meal of baked chicken, roasted corn, potatoes, tomatoes, and broccoli, I have to say it was well worth it.  Yes, tiring and worth it.  


Moral is?  This is taking an incredible amount of discipline.  But yes, you can teach an old dog (er, 27 year old) new tricks.  She might protest, but her cries are those of wanting to revert back to old habits, those she is trying to change...

No comments:

Post a Comment